Last updated Nov 2015
Department of Theology
P.O. Box 1881
Milwaukee, WI 53201
- PhD. Religious Studies, Marquette University, 2019 (anticipated)
- Completed Preparing Future Faculty Program to form future teachers
- M.A. Theology and Christian Ministry, Franciscan University of Steubenville, 2010
- Bachelor in Philosophy, St. John Vianney Theological Seminary, 2008
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude
- Thesis: The Limits of Human Freedom That Illuminate Man’s Dignity
- B.A. Catechetics, Franciscan University of Steubenville, 2006
- Thesis: St. Joseph: Model for Catechists
- Studied abroad in Gaming Austria, Spring 2005
- Second major in Philosophy completed August 2008
- A.A. Liberal Arts, Lassen Community College, 2003
- Fall 2015–present, Adjunct Instructor, Marquette University
- 2013–2015, Teaching Assistant, Marquette University
- 2010–2012, Theology teacher, St. Augustine Catholic High School, Tucson, AZ
- Taught 9th–12th grades in areas of Revelation, Scripture, Morality, Social Justice, Trinity, Paschal Mystery, Christology, Ecclesiology, Apologetics and Vocations
Dictionary Articles (Peer-reviewed)
- “Fountain Gate” in Lexham Bible Dictionary (eds. John D. Barry, Lazarus Wentz; Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2012–2014).
- “Baal Zephon” in Lexham Bible Dictionary (eds. John D. Barry, Lazarus Wentz; Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2012–2014).
- “Lion of the Tribe of Judah” in Lexham Bible Dictionary (eds. John D. Barry, Lazarus Wentz; Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2012–2014).
- Review of Pontifical Biblical Commission, The Inspiration and Truth of Sacred Scripture, in Catholic Books Review (November 2015).
- Review of Stanisław Grygiel, Discovering the Human Person: In Conversation with John Paul II, in Catholic Books Review (July 2015).
- Review of Scott Carl, ed., Verbum Domini and the Complementarity of Exegesis and Theology, in Catholic Books Review (August 2015).
- Review of Gerhard Lohfink, No Irrelevant Jesus: On Jesus and the Church Today, in Catholic Books Review (September 2014).
Academic Conference Paper Presentations
- “Response by Jason Bermender to ‘Imagining Byzantine Demonology’ by Nathaniel Kidd,” paper presented at Early Christian Studies Workshop, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI, Nov. 19, 2015.
- “Non-Metaphorical and Metaphorical Uses of Demonic Possession in the Fourth Gospel,” paper presented at Johannine Literature section, Upper Midwest Region Society of Biblical Literature, St. Paul, MN, Apr. 4–5, 2014.
- Response to “Disordering Creation: Divine Images Versus God’s Image,” by Fr. Georges Massinelli, at Loyola University Chicago and Marquette University 12th Annual Graduate Theological Colloquium, Chicago, IL, Feb. 15, 2014.
- “Demonic Possession as an Ironic Motif in the Gospel of John,” paper presented at Early Gospels section, Midwest Region Society of Biblical Literature, Bourbonnais, IL, Feb. 7–9, 2014.
- “1st Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel,” Archdiocese of Milwaukee Office of Diaconate Formation, Cousins Center, Sep. 29, 2015.
- “The Divided Monarchy,” Campus Crusade for Christ, Marquette University, Feb. 3, 2015.
Honors and Awards
- Vice Presidential Honors, Lassen Community College, 2003
- Tutor of the Year, Lassen Community College, 2002
- Teaching with Technology, Marquette University, 2016 (anticipated)
- Master Catechist, Diocese of Tucson, 2011
- Society of Biblical Literature (since 2012)
- Old Testament
- Johannine Literature
- Pseudepigrapha/Intertestamental Literature
- Hebrew (classical)
- Greek (NT Koine)
- Latin (ecclesiastical)
- Marquette University (Undergraduate)
- THEO 1001 Introduction to Theology
- THEO 3010 Hebrew Scriptures/Old Testament Selected Books: The Pentateuch
- Theology and Globalization (Teaching Assistant)
- Late Medieval to Early Modern Theology (Teaching Assistant)
- Quest for the Christian Identity (Teaching Assistant)
Faculty Development Activities Attended
Workshops and Seminars
Teaching Philosophy Statements, Nov. 17, 2015
Creating a Teaching Portfolio, Sep. 29, 2015
Web 2.0 Tools, Sep. 16, 2015
Designing Research Assignments, Sept. 9, 2015
D2L Gradebook, Aug. 28, 2015
D2L Start Up, Aug. 28, 2015
Letter and Spirit Seminar, Jun. 21–25, 2015
Rubrics in Class, Mar. 25, 2015
Getting the Most out of Your Course Evaluations, Feb. 18, 2015
Letter and Spirit Seminar, Jun. 22–26, 2014
Making Good Pictures, Feb. 24, 2014
Social Media in the Classroom, Feb. 19, 2014
Copyright in the Digital Age, Feb. 10, 2014
Using Info Graphics, Feb. 6, 2014
Assessing Student Learning, Oct. 29, 2013
Learning Objectives, Oct. 22, 2013
Syllabus Construction, Oct. 15, 2013
Effective Course Design, Oct. 8, 2013
Letter and Spirit Seminar, Jun. 23–27, 2013
LBGTQ Matters in the Classroom: The Conversation Continues, Apr. 17, 2013
Successfully Overcoming Problems in the Classroom, Jan. 22, 2013
LBGTQ Matters, Sep. 7, 2012
Panel Moderator for MU Humanities Conference, Apr. 11, 2015
Directed campus ministry team and prepared for liturgical services
Supervised and taught Latin club after school
Developed peer tutoring program
Implemented a new theology curriculum
- 2015–present, Data Entry Technician, Digital Measures, Milwaukee, WI
- 2015, Editorial Assistant for Funding Information Center, Raynor Memorial Libraries, Milwaukee, WI
- 2013–2014, Graduate Information Assistant, Raynor Memorial Libraries, Milwaukee, WI
- 2008–2009, Hospital Chaplain, St. Anthony’s Hospital, Denver, CO
- 2006–2007, Morality Teacher, St. Vincent de Paul Catholic School, Denver, CO
- 2006, Catechist, Sacred Heart Church, Susanville, CA
- 2005–2006, Co-Head of Pro-Life sidewalk counselors, Franciscan University, OH
- 2004–2005, Summer Catechist Teacher for Totus Tuus of Denver, Denver, CO
- 2000–2002, Tutor at Lassen Community College, Susanville, CA